So, I'm super curious as to what exactly I've been looking at that is blooming around here and found a great website:
http://davesgarden.com/
You can look up plants by common name or species name, it has lots of pictures and gives some great information. Plus it has lots of resources for all kinds of gardening questions and problems and places to buy things. It looks like both of the plants I've been looking at are from the Magnolia "family", which means that they aren't necessarily called by that name by most people, but that is how they are classified by science. Most magnolias only grow south of here, but these can grow here in Indiana, given there isn't a late frost. If that happens, then you don't get to enjoy the beautiful flowers, just the leaves. The 'tulip tree' (its common name) is the one that is pink and the 'star' bush is the white one I've been seeing that usually is more of a bush verses a tree. Not sure anyone really cares to know this, but I thought it was interesting -- that botany major in me is screaming for attention - it usually does in the spring :) Here are some links to what I found. Pay attention to the pictures posted on the very right-hand side of the screen, the one in the middle of the text information in the box is an advertisement for a different plant.
Star Magnolia 'Royal Star'Magnolia stellata
Saucer Magnolia, Tulip TreeMagnolia x soulangeana
Friday, April 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
Thanks for the fun information - I love discovering the new plants when we move to a new area. I actually thought (before you posted the picture) that you were describing a magnolia, but when you called it a dogwood, I thought, "huh, I didn't know dogwood looked like magnolia". Only funny because you are so good at describing the flowers that I could guess without a picture!
Post a Comment