Apparently it is too early for dogwoods - and their flowers are a little smaller. The trees and bushes I'm seeing are magnolias. They are like the ones that flower every spring in between the Museum of Art (MOA) and the Harris Fine Arts Center (HFAC) on BYU's campus. Those were always my favorite -- the promise that soon the semester would really be over no matter how bad the class! I always called them tulip trees because their blooms were so big and looked a lot like tulips. I passed them every day at least twice when I lived in D.T., which were recently torn down. Ah, memories!
Magnolia Tree

Dogwood Tree
4 comments:
Sorry to have to tell you, but they aren't magnolias either. I don't think magnolias grow this far north. They do great down south. I know what kind of tree you're talking about. I love them too. Every one I know calls them cherry blossom trees, but I don't know if that is their real name. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Heathelyn! Thank you :) The things that grow here are very different from what I grew up with, and I was a botany major for a short while - long enough to know that I love things that grow, but not enough to memorize all their names! So, hopefully I'll figure out what their real name is eventually. I do think that it is the same tree that was at BYU though ... they don't typcially grow there, but they were in a very protected garden, which probably made it possible.
I love both Magnolias and Dogwoods! I have one of eachin my yard and noticed the Magnolias blooms getting bigger just yesterday. Can't wait until they open up!
I love those beautiful trees (whatever they are!). My grandma has one and I always look forward to its blooms. I remember them at BYU too. :)
Post a Comment