Wednesday, May 19, 2010


Baseball, Cub Scouts, Spelling Bees, Homework, Talent Shows, Piano lessons ... when did he get so busy? Isn't it great to be eight?! He is enjoying baseball - as I am surviving being a team mom ... I've got two other moms to split it with, so it makes it do-able! It's fun to be in the dug out with those boys, I love their energy and enthusiasm. It certainly is a new experience for me, since I have to keep track of them and their hats, bats, gloves, catcher's gear, keep them in line and listening, then know who is playing what position in which inning and where the catcher is in the line up so I can get him ready when we aren't batting, and then when the coach wants to know how many outs/balls/strikes there are, I really should be keeping track of that too, so I look like I know something about baseball! Really, it's amazing how much a mother's mind can keep track of ... or not ... because frequently I don't know, and I feel a little ridiculous, but I'm determined to enjoy this experience, despite not knowing the ins and outs of baseball!

Master S is loving Scouts and has such a great group of boys his age at church to do it with and 2 fantastic leaders! He had a great time designing and making his car for the pinewood derby with his dad ... He is such a good kid - a little silly, but always trying to do the right things and he makes me laugh because there are so many things that I would stress about as a kid, but he just takes it in stride, kind of like his dad.
I celebrate the evenings that we are all home at once because it doesn't happen so often anymore and I'm afraid that is going to be the case for a LONG time! It's such a difficult balance as parents to try and have your kids involved in good things, things that make them happy and feel good about themselves, but not go overboard and find yourself without time as a family. I find myself thinking a lot, 'It's a good thing, but is it the best thing?'. And sometimes we don't know until we try it and find it isn't working. It's a goal of mine this summer to just keep it simple. To wipe my own agenda clean and just go and do with the kids and maybe somewhere in the process just have fun.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

What a wonderful young man you have!

Claudia said...

What a wonderful young man you have!

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

I liked your little play on words about the "ins and outs of baseball". Oh, Kimi, you are such a great mom!

Kelsey Kamauu said...

So fun Master S - Someday it would be great to come to one of your baseball games! Pretty sure I know WAY less than your mom but it would be awesome to watch you play! :) Enjoy scouts and all that fun stuff your mom has you doing...we love you guys!