Monday, November 8, 2010

Rings, Diamonds and Miracles!

Funny how sometimes we get premonitions without realizing it.  As I drove on Saturday while running errands I noticed my wedding ring.  I don't notice it much anymore, it is such a part of my everyday life, but it stuck out to me on Saturday for some reason - I didn't pick out the design, we didn't go shopping for it, I didn't give J.D. details as to what I wanted, in fact I had no idea he even had a ring when he proposed to me - we'd never talked about it.  But, I have always loved it - it was perfect, even down to the sizing, from the moment it went on my hand.  I was never one of those girls that dreamed of the diamond she'd have and plan out the design, the color or the size ... too practical for that.  But, this ring had history, and meaning - it fit not just my hand, but who I was and who I am.  So I fingered it a little yesterday as I drove to church and thought about how quickly 13 years has gone by.  I went to bed Sunday night - anxious for a good night sleep, knowing  I had work to look forward to in the morning.  I remember waking up a few times because my wedding ring snagged on the sheets, which never happens ... but in the middle of a good night's sleep I just thought it was weird and went back to sleep.  So, when the alarm rang at 5am I sat up with a jolt, realizing that the reason my ring was snagging was because the large diamond (well, large to me ...) in the middle, was missing.  I ran my finger across it and sure enough it was gone.  Needless to say, the lights went on, and J.D. was pulled into consciousness ... I was a little crazy thinking that diamond could be anywhere, the disposal from doing dishes, the church parking lot, the carpet in the family room, the car, the lawn at the church from helping the kids find and add to their acorn collection (don't ask - they have a fascination with nuts that have hats ...)  I was distraught --- so, I went to the bathroom.  This isn't just my ring, that J.D. gave me almost 13 years ago - this is also his Great-Grandmother's ring a slightly important piece of history for him and his family.  As I walked across the bathroom floor to go back to the bedroom I saw something sparkle on the tile that there it was - sitting all by itself in the middle of my bathroom floor.  Then I walked into the bedroom and saw J.D. praying.

When we were newlyweds, J.D. worked late evenings and often didn't come home until after 11.  One night as he came home he threw some garbage from his car into the dumpster outside the apartments on his way into the apartment complex.  As he did so his wedding band flew off his finger.  It was dark, it was cold and he was skinny - super skinny at the time :)  He heard it hit something metal and assumed it went into the dumpster too.  I was still up when he came in, he was distraught.  He went back out and searched (while I prayed) with a flashlight - I think he even got into the dumpster, but couldn't find it.  So, we prayed that night - we knew we couldn't afford to replace it, but we could afford to pray for help.  We went to bed, got up for church the next morning, still very depressed about the ring.  While at church it snowed just enough to cover the ground.  As we walked from the car to the apartment, after church, we discussed what we could do to replace the ring, and there on the sidewalk was a small melted circle in the snow - J.D.'s ring.

Miracles do happen - there is great power in prayer and it is always incredible to have a reminder of that.  We'll be taking the diamond/ring to a jeweler to figure out what to do - repair the current setting, get a new one ... we'll see.  I'm just grateful for miracles tonight!

7 comments:

Claudia said...

So glad you found it! I actually had a very similar experience with a ring with my Grandmother's history attached in NYC this summer - the diamond could have been anywhere from Dallas to NYC, and any cab or airport in between, and I found it on the floor of my hotel bathroom.

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

What a great couple of stories! Thanks for sharing. :) I was wondering what you were referring to from your recent FB post...

And I got a kick out of how your kiddies think acorns have hats. Love it! :)

The Silly Witch said...

Oh those wedding rings! Thanks for the reminder to get mine cleaned and the prongs straightened. It rarely leaves my hand and could use some attention. It is a miracle you found your diamond! Amazing.

Kasi said...

I have lost the diamond in my ring a few times. Luckily I had a warranty on it and they replaced it. So I don't have super awesome spiritual stories to tell about my wedding ring.:)

Yorgasons said...

Wow that is amazing!! Thank goodness you found it!! What a blessing!

Charlotte said...

What a great story! I'm so glad you found the diamond, especially since it's an heirloom!

james and bess said...

aaaaaaaaah! i just read this!!! SO glad you found the diamond - the power of prayer is amazing. if you decide to change the setting - can i have the old one?

bess :)