I convinced J.D. that we needed a garden ... he knows I can't go long without my hands in the dirt and fresh veggies as a result and it had been two years! So, we found a good book on vegetable gardening at a local used book store and they had these great garden boxes ... and J.D. made them for me! (Aren't they beautiful?!)
I went out to check on the garden this morning (lots of storms last night) and found my beet greens half gone - this is a picture of half of them. I figured rabbits must have gotten them and told the kids I had bunnies eating my beet greens. Miss Lilly and Master S were outside on the swing set and came in at lunch to tell me that there was something "brown and fuzzy" in the garden and that it was "like a cylinder, only with round edges". Hmmmmm ... I later went out to see what in the heck they were talking about, because according to them it wasn't alive and it didn't move ... and this is what I found, in a hole dug out next to a tomato plant ....
OK, so I know eggs don't grow from seed and I also know that these beet greens are supposed to be about a foot away growing instead of withering ... could it be a duck egg? Was there a duck desperate enough to lay an egg in my garden?!?! Who knows ... now what in the world am I supposed to do with it?!?!







3 comments:
Leave it and let it hatch! Then you'll have a new baby for your new farm to go with your delicious and lovely garden. :~)
Fabulous garden! Our experiment in gardening this year might be called "the $2000 tomato", so I'm glad to see you are having such success.
We had a duck lay eggs in our flower bed last year. But since the mama abandoned them, they never hatched. And then a skunk came and ate them. Sad story.
Post a Comment