Sunday, June 20, 2010

Flora, Indiana

Saturday we took a little trip. About an hour north of us is a little town called, Flora Indiana - imagine that! And, much to our children's amazement - the people that settled this little area are distant relatives! Amazing! There were so many 'Flora' signs that I just had to capture them on the camera. Flora has an annual run, sponsored by local Lion's Club and St. Vincent hospitals. J.D. ran in the annual 'Hog Jog' this year ... named for the hog farms that you apparently run past in the 10K. Yes, J.D. ran in a 10K and yes, I think he is CRAZY, but I also think I'd like to do it with him next year ... ok, maybe it was just for a moment in the hot and humid heat of the day, but that is more desire than I've ever had to run longer than necessary to escape danger, which is saying something. This is J.D. crossing the finish line! Yeah!
And this is him with Master S -- doesn't it make you want to run for an hour too!?! J.D. beat his personal best for the 10K, under 60 minutes - amazing - we were all so proud of him!
They had all kinds of things going on to celebrate the annual run - one was a classic car show. I'm beginning to realize that anytime anyone does anything to celebrate anything in Indiana there is usually a car show involved somehow - if it is at all important :) This is a picture of the kids as we were waiting for J.D. ... normally I'm reminding the kids every second 'don't touch the cars!' or 'don't breathe too close to the cars ....', but there was a 'grandma' there who knew that the kids would love it and they hadn't restored the inside of their car yet, so she let us hop in for a pic.
After the race we went to Lafayette, only about 20 miles west of Flora. There is a great FREE zoo that was the perfect size for the kids, especially Big D. They had some great hands on exhibits and the cutest baby goats to pet - Miss Lilly and Big D hugging the penguin statue ...

punk-rocker chicken ...

There was also a train that ran through and around the park - Big D was so excited...this is a picture of him just as the train blew its whistle and started moving forward.

me ...

And Steak 'n Shake for lunch...yum! Who doesn't need grease and ice cream after a long run?!?

4 comments:

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

Looks like good times... All but the 10k. I did a 5k a couple of years ago (mountain terrain) and I felt just like I was going to die and I was afraid I wouldn't. :~S

I love that rooster/chicken thingy, too. That's going to be my new idol now. ;) I want one to hang on my rear view mirror.

Claudia said...

That is so unbelievably cool - the town name and the 10K. Wish I was motivated to run that far....

Heathelyn said...

You guys always find such fun things to do here. I have lived in Indiana most of my life, and I never find all the fun things that you guys do.

james and bess said...

yay, josh!!! way to go!!! i'm so happy you went to lafayette - we SO miss it!

bess :)