
Motivation comes in many forms. But, today I was surprised to find my own personal childhood
experience become a huge motivation for Master S. Since last summer's hospital craziness botched the whole 'learning to ride a bike' goal for Master S, we decided early on this year that this was the year (he's had it for 2 years now -- this pic is from his birthday when he got it). Not only do all of his friends ride their bikes everywhere, but it was time for him to have a little more freedom, which generally means wheels (happens when you are 16 too). Anyway, we've been working on it here and there and amazingly he is very much like his mother ...
hmmmm ... stubborn, not patient and generally blames the bike, the grass, the concrete, his body, the teacher, etc. for things not going well, and wants to give up and practice later ... he's not related to me at all (much sarcasm intended here ...) So, tonight after a few
unsuccessful trips up and down the
neighborhood sidewalk he was mad, I was frustrated and I told him I was done - well, that didn't go well and all of a sudden I had an 'ah, ha' -- I proceeded to tell him about my own experience learning to ride a bike -- not a pleasant one, and not for any reason other than myself (insert above description here) and needless to say I did not learn to ride a bike until I was in the 3rd grade!!! Whoa -- you'd think I'd lit a fire under him! He was
immediately back out there determined to ride and guess what?!?! He did it!!! Yeah!
Hopefully we can keep this up and he'll be riding to the park by the end of August ... am I ready to give him that freedom?!?! ...
hmmmmm ....
4 comments:
It's funny what it takes to motivate some kids, isn't it? We had a very similar experience with Theo and his trike - turns out he can be bribed with m&m's - very useful information!
Oh how cool. Teaching kids to ride bikes is one of my most favorite parts of being a mom. He'll probably be riding his bike to the park by the end of the week if you let him. Way to go Master S. You're on your way to freedom now!
Yay!!! Way to go, Master S (and mommy K) for sticking to it and making it happen!
We had the same thing happen with Kelle. We'd practice - she'd blame us, get upset, give up, etc. . . She didn't learn to ride until one afternoon she finally just decided she would work at it until she got it. An hour or so later - she was riding down the street and is now unstoppable! (BTW, peer pressure was also helpful because all the other kids who live around us - including younger kids - can ride.)
Post a Comment