Monday, July 6, 2009

FREE!


Is there anything better than free? Especially when you feel like you rescued something valuable, from an untimely demise in a garbage heap - makes me feel like I got something for nothing AND I saved the world by recycling! Double Whammy! Here's the story: I was on my morning walk with my lovely and wonderful neighbor - she is great, a reliable, fast walker, great conversationalist and an incredible lady all the way around, just what I need to keep me motivated - anyway, we walked past a garbage can sitting at the edge of a driveway one morning last week and I immediately noticed this sand table sitting next to it. Probably, because I've kind of been looking for one and haven't had much luck. I'd more or less given up and thought I'd have to save up for one, since they are outrageously expensive brand new and not something on the 'need' list right now. Anyway, there is was, just sitting there waiting for the garbage man to through it in his truck. So, we quickly walked back home, I ran into the house and said something to J.D. about a sand table and was gone before he really knew what was going on. I was hurrying, because the garbage truck was due by any moment ... and as I was driving back to the location saw them on their way down the street. I checked to make sure it was stable -- kind of has a crooked leg, but it was great and I threw into the back of the car. It was very dirty, needed a good scrub and some minor tightening of screws, but nothing that took more than 30 minutes. A Walmart trip later that afternoon for $2 in sand and we have another great place to play in the backyard! Yeah! There are a couple places for sand, and a moat that is great for water and even has a special drain that you can close to keep the water in, or open and let it out without getting rid of all the sand too. I love the fact that they can play in the sand without sitting in it and I can cover it up so that neighborhood animals aren't too curious. Miss Lilly loves it - Big D is a little wary, but I'm sure that will change as soon as he figures out that it's great for trucks, water, making messes, filling shoes and especially dragging it into mom's kitchen ...

2 comments:

Kelsey Kamauu said...

so awesome - FREE couldn't get any better than that! Funny that I almost got that EXACT table on Craigs's list but I found a different one for cheaper and closer to me...we could have been twinners - minus the FREE part :) love you! by the way thank you for the play by play of picking it up - I enjoyed watching that in my head :) I look forward to finding cool things in my neighbors' trash - SOMEday! :)

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

Right on, dude! Isn't that kind of shopping positively perfect?? Easy to find AND free! (I'd be all about the kids not having to sit in it, either, AND no neighborhood cats doing their dirty deed! We have a problem with that in our yard, so I queried around searching for an answer to that and my sister told me to generously sprinkle black pepper in the sandbox. Cats dislike that very much when they scratch. :)