Sunday, August 3, 2008

Working Mom . . . exhausted Dad!

So, I'm picking up lots of extra time at work and switched over so I can get benefits until J.D. has a new gig going (that is a job!). Which means that we are switching rolls for awhile. I am always very busy at work and exhausted when I get home. IMC had 600 babies born in July and even more are expected in August, so the maternity unit, where I usually end up is always hopping! It is great because I get to take care of new moms, and babies - ooh and aah over how darling they are and help moms to feel good about themselves, learn the tricks to breastfeeding and embrace the new challenge in their lives with excitement. It is great! Although I still love to be in the Newborn ICU - that is my favorite place. I enjoy what I do, but when I work maternity I'm always a little more nervous because I still feel so new at it and I don't want to miss anything important - you know, like a hemorrhage or a medication (the doses are so much bigger for moms compared to babies)! I had to prepare some training for ward council at church and I told J. D. I was more nervous for work than giving the training . . . which is saying something for me! And because I'm working a lot of 8 hour shifts (NBICU does mostly 12 hour shifts) I'm in maternity more often and as a result a little more on edge with stress. I'm feeling very grateful that I have that ability to do this though -- it will make a big difference as J.D. is looking and interviewing and will help us keep benefits and stay afloat. I am so grateful for sticking with this nurse thing and having the ability to help us through the rough spots. I'm finding that juggling all the mom stuff and working more is proving to be an incredible task. I honestly don't know how the single moms I know do it! It is a tiresome job with no break in sight and I have an understanding for that, that I never would have had before this. Somethings are just not important anymore and I'm quickly realizing what should be the priorities. It makes me reflect on other times in my life where I felt sorry for myself because I didn't get the time to do frivolous things that I thought I deserved, and realize how different my perspective is now. There are lots of things that are fun and enjoyable, but only the most important things in life will bring us real and lasting joy -- like talking to your 1st grader about his first day at school and watching his eyes light up when he talks about three recesses! Or, playing with a 3-year old making play-dough pizza and painting beautiful princesses with our fingers. And especially rocking a baby to sleep and feeling the weight of his little body and easy breathing, watching his peaceful face and realizing how dependant his is on you and how much he loves you, just because you are you! J.D. on the other hand is learning the crazy, non-stop, insane, child -managing ropes of being at home with three kids! I think he's decided that he would definitely prefer to be working - that is at a job outside of the home, because motherhood is work! :)I caught this pic of him and Miss Lilly yesterday, after I got home from work. It pretty much defines how he feels after a day with the kids (and Miss Lilly too)! I think he is very grateful to have Master S in school all day - one less crazy to keep track of. He has a lot of potential job ops this week -- interview tomorrow and some more recruiters to call back. Looking forward to the end of this roller-coaster, one day at a time ride!

3 comments:

the Johnson Mom said...

Your training was great. I love the pic! It's crazy how we forget that being the mom is tiring, we don't realize all that we do unitl we have to tell someone else how to do it. As you already know if you need anything, please call. I made my blog private, I blog to many personal things so email me @ lyman_n_angela@hotmail.com and I will add you to my list.
Angela

The Silly Witch said...

Both of you--Hang in there. I know you'll have a more idyllic situation soon. Kim, I bet you are an awesome maternity ward nurse. How cool that you get to learn something new. I'll be thinking about you guys.

Also, that picture is SO precious.

Yorgasons said...

We love you guys!! We are praying for all of you and I know all of this is just going to make you av even closer and stronger family! Kim you are my hero in so many ways!! I wish I had the brains to be a nurse...and the guts!! WE love you all!! I hope Spencer's first day of school went well!! I can't believe he is in the first grade!! Love you guys again and again!!!