Friday, May 30, 2008

Stomach Ache Ambulance Ride . . .


Well, it has been an adventurous last few days and a Memorial Day we will never forget! Master S had a stomach ache Sunday morning, and of course his mom made him go to church - - - having a nurse for a mom is just the pits sometimes, no sympathy! But, we ended up coming home early because he just wasn't feeling well. So, later that afternoon, J.D. took him to the Urgent Care Clinic because he had a fever too. They did a strep test, but no positive and in the process he threw up and wet his pants, so they couldn't do a urine test - thinking it might be a bladder infection. J.D. brought him home, and went to the store for some clear fluids (apple juice and Popsicles), put Master S to bed and we tried to sleep. But, he moaned all night long and needless to say, no one slept in the house. In the morning I gave him some Motrin, J.D. took the urine sample to urgent care and we waited. He seemed to feel better, so I took off shopping. About 1 & 1/2 hours later J.D. called, panicked. Master S' pain had spiked and he was taking him to the ER. The urine had come back inconclusive and his pain rebounded. At Jordan Valley Hospital they started an IV, did more tests - blood, urine etc. It is pretty rare to have appendicitis, espeically at 6 years old, so it took them several hours to rule everything out before they knew what needed to happen, plus it takes a few hours to drink the contrast that is used in a CT. Needless to say it was a LONG day at the hospital. Finally they did the CT scan, based on his white blood cell count, which was elevated. At that point I panicked -- another drawback to having a nurse for a mother, either I'm not sympathetic at all or I'm freaking out about the life & death possibilities! Four hours later I was riding in an ambulance with Master S to Primary Children's Hospital with a diagnosis -- ruptured appendix. At about midnight he went into surgery and at 2 am was wheeled into his room in the surgical unit. He was pretty sick for the first 48 hours, but rapidly improved and is finally home!!! YEAH!!! The nurse today, actually said he was discharged in record time -- most kids with a ruptured appendix are there for at least 5 days. Amazingly enough my mom was able to be here for a few days and I don't have to work this weekend, so I can be at home with him. He's got to take it easy for the next two weeks - lots of wii time I'm afraid. But, I'm incredibly grateful for a healthy boy, an amazing Children's hospital and the prayers, blessings, meals and thoughts on our behalf in the process.

3 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Those are the kinds of adventures you would rather NOT have as a mother, right? Nevertheless I'm so glad he's recovering quickly. Hopefully he'll enjoying histime with the Wii.

Phelps Family said...

Hi Kim! It's me, Charissa! I found your blog on facebook. I am so sorry you had this not so fun adventure. I can't tell you how many children I have cared for with a ruptured appendix. No fun! I am glad he is home and recovering.

BTW your family is adorable!

Yorgasons said...

I am so glad that he is soooo much better! I really can't wait til you guys come up here! It will be so much fun! I wish you guys could stay for longer! See you soon!