Thursday, May 1, 2008

Returning to work . . .

Yesterday I met with my manager - because I'm at the end of my maternity leave. I knew I had a lot of paperwork and JCAHO required things to do before I started work again, but good heavens! Apparently, when I was hired there were several things that were supposed to be filled out that weren't and so now, I get to do it all and have it done before June 1st, which seems to be imposible at this point. So, if I wasn't before, I am seriously re-thinking returning to work. On the plus side, extra money is always nice, especially if we want to visit grandparents, take vacations and expand our living space. Add to that my position of perdiem pay and a very flexible schedule and it is hard to justify leaving. Besides, 8 hours a week in an environment where I feel like I'm contributing and blessing other people's lives does wonders to boost my feelings of personal worth, especially after a week of whinning kids. The problem is that there are always things that have to be sacrificed when I work --- most of them have to do with time spent doing other things and being with the people I love. Plus, if I really think about it, I relaly don't want to be a bedside nurse for the rest of my life. I would love to teach in some capacity and maybe I need a break from bedside nursing to really embrace those potential opportunties. Who knows?!?!? I've come to the conclusion that this decision is about time and what I need to spend my time doing right now. It isn't even about money, amazingly enough. There are so many benefits to both senarios . . . decisions, decisions, decisions!

No comments: