inspired by Richard Scarry
This one is from Primary (kid's Sunday School class at church). Miss Lilly apparently decided that if there was Three Wisemen, should be Three Wise Women ...
Sunday afternoons aren't as long as they used to be, with church at 1pm, but the kids always find time to do something (usually it involves a gigantic mess of blankets, pillows, and all the cushions in the whole house). This past Sunday it was a puppet theater from an old computer box ...
On Saturday we escaped as a family for a few hours to a county park about 15 minutes west of our house. It is so beautiful in the spring/summer/fall - and equally so in the winter. They were having 'Maple Syrup Days' and were tapping trees for sap to make into syrup. The kids got to try their hands at tapping ... the old fashioned way ...
and the modern day, power drill way ...
It was cold - not as cold as Indiana can get, but cold enough that Big D was bundled up (amazing, since he is our 'hot' boy - always comfortable in short sleeves no matter what the weather).
They showed us how the Indians and people of the 1800's and 1900's made the syrup. Amazing how many gallons of sap goes into just a little jar of real maple syrup.
They also had an Amish built evaporator that uses steam from a wood burning oven to heat the sap into syrup. That was really cool too. They had maple sugar candy to taste and of course, syrup to purchase. We of course bought some and had pancakes for lunch when we got home. YUM! I have to say that there is nothing like 'real' maple syrup!
J.D. had a birthday ... he's had so many they are starting to run together in my mind ... it was a group effort to get the candles out.
Goal Update: I've completed February's!!! I stuck to the challenge and lost 10 lbs.! Yeah! I am caught up in the Sunday School reading (well, until last week - but I'll catch up again!). And, drum roll please, I painted the living room! These pics don't do it justice, but at least you get the idea and the proof. I really love the color in that room now.
Big D also started preschool. Well, he started going to the free, once a week, for an hour preschool, at the library. He was so excited. He has been asking for months to go to school and I found a cheap backpack on clearance, so he had to get all ready and then asked me to take a picture!
After it was all over he came out of the room with the other kids and said, 'Mom, that was great - but it was too short!' I think he'd be ready for kindergarten tomorrow if he could go! This was his flower that he did in class. Love it!
After the crazy weather that has been happening here and in other parts of the country, I am grateful for the eternal perspective. I am aware of how much can change in just seconds and the opportunity to witness courageous and strong men and women who are determined to move on and help out. May the Lord bless those who have been in harm's way, those who are working to help them and may we all find small ways to help out the neighbors we have in our own circles of life.







1 comment:
Congrats on meeting your goals for the month! 10 pounds - that's amazing!!! Can you loose 10 pounds for me? :) Miss ya!
Post a Comment