Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Signs of Spring

It is a little early, but when I walk outside the birds are singing.  It was almost overnight that it happened - they moved in and started singing again!
 Winter hasn't been even close to a typical Indiana winter ...
 but, I think I'm ready!!!
 Last spring/summer I planted a tulip tree (Indiana's state tree), a lilac bush, peonies (Indiana's state flower), tons of iris bulbs, (almost all transplants from various friends and neighbors)
I also started daisies from seed and got a surprise vinca vine from a peony transplant from a friend from Missouri ...
I am so excited to see what the spring will bring!  Plus, we transplanted a red bud, which was a shoot from our neighbors across the street, who had gotten it from her sister's house in Michigan and we had planted it too close to the house last spring.  So, we moved it this fall and thought for sure it would be toast, but it is budding too - and it is probably one of the biggest trees in the yard.  This is one of my FAVORITE things about Indiana, things grow here - very few of the plants in our yard were purchased.  Most of them have a story with a friend attached to it.  This is the way a garden is meant to be!

Oh, and another sign of spring ...

After playing around without training wheels for a few months last fall, Miss Lilly taught herself.  Not for lack of Mom trying to help - the girl has a will of her own and she is amazing when mom doesn't get in the way!  She has taken off since I took this video last week ... literally, full speed.  I think she finally tasted a little bit of that independence she has been looking for since she was a screaming baby and she is not looking back now!  Where Master S was so cautious on his bike, Miss Lilly is not!  Is this a taste of things to come?!?!

No comments: