Friday, May 27, 2011
T-Storms
We get a lot of thunderstorms here - especially in the spring and fall. I used to think we got storms in UT a lot with the clouds hitting up on the mountains, perspective is everything! Almost every time it rains there is thunder here - it is actually unusual for it to rain and not have lighting and thunder. Along with that comes tornadoes. It is just a part of life in the Midwest and I am so grateful for a basement every time the sirens in town go off from the weather service to warm of possible tornado activity. It also creates a little drama around here. With children old enough to hear/read about on the news/paper and hear crazy stories on the bus from peers about storms & tornadoes, every time the sirens go off I have petrified children and if it is at night it makes for a very LONG one. So, when I saw the forecast for the evening the other night I decided to approach it differently. We set up camp. I got out the air mattresses and blankets, brought down the duplos, played some games, read stories for bedtime, all in the basement and then put the kids to bed down there. No getting up in the middle of the night wondering if I should wake my children. No children waking up and sitting with wide eyes and scary visions for hours on end and guess what? I slept through them too! It was lovely. I have a new game plan and maybe some good family memories at the same time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
That sounds like FUN! Way to make lemonade from lemons. :)
Yeah, it was a long night here too. Unfortunately my girls don't like to sleep in the basement. They think it is scary. But of course, they are scared of the storms too. Fun times. LOL.
great idea! now to figure out how to do s'mores down there, too..... :)!
bess
What a good idea.
Post a Comment