Monday, April 11, 2011

Temple Cans

As a youth leader for the Young Women at church (12 to 13 year olds) we've been working on a little project:  Time Capsules to open when they are old enough to go to the temple, which is usually around 21 or older, either in preparation for a mission or when they get married.  They have turned out super cute and the girls have had such a good time putting them together that I thought I'd post some pictures of them.
I got a bunch of 10 inch cans from the LDS church's dry pack cannery in Indianapolis.  Inside the cans we filled out a list of their favorite things, put a picture of themselves now, wrote a letter to their future spouse, filled out a questionnaire about the qualities of their future spouse, wrote down goals for family, education and church and I made some bows for each of the girls to clip to their shoes when they go to the temple.  Then I got a can sealer from the church's dry pack cannery and the girls got to seal their own cans and decorate them.
 We also made some banner for their rooms.
There is a program the girls work through called Personal Progress that helps them set goals and learn the basics of the gospel through scripture study, keeping a journal and doing different acts of service, learning and study.  It is really designed to help them be prepared and worthy to attend the temple, so we also made a banner to hang in their rooms to remind them of this.  If there happens to be anyone who reads this and wants a copy of the stuff, just let me know.  I can send them to you.  It turned out to be a great activity

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'd love a copy of it! What a great idea! Every ward YW program needs someone like you! You are awsome!

The Silly Witch said...

I LOVE this idea. Thanks for sharing.

Charlotte said...

Those turned out great! Good job. I wish I had done one as a beehive.

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

What a clever idea! I wish I had had that when I was in YW...