Someone had a birthday ... he is getting closer to that magical age of 10 and I can feel myself freaking out a little bit. I mean - when did this happen? Am I really old enough to have a 9 year old? Do I look old enough to have a 9 year old? I must, because nobody looks at me weird when they ask me at work, how old my kids are . In fact someone was really surprised when I said that I had a 3 year old a few days ago, I think their response was, 'I didn't realize you had a such a little one at home.' Ahhh! Do I need to change my hair? my scrubs? my make-up routine?
Anyway - this post is not about me or my apparent issue with getting older, it is about Master S! He is growing into such a great young man. He loves cub scouts, he loves any kind of game (seriously - all sports, board, computer, & nintendo games), he loves to be outside and run around with his friends, he is kind and helpful .. most of the time, he loves being a big brother, and he tries so hard to do the right thing. He has wanted a Nintendo DS (handheld nintendo game-system) for I don't know ... FOREVER ... and he had begun to think he'd never get one. He started saying things like, 'I don't need a DS, there are so many other things to do on long car trips ... like reading, listening to music, mad libs, playing with my siblings (ha - I laughed at that one, more like picking fights with siblings, esp. in the car) or he also has said, 'a DS is just too much money, right mom?!' Obviously I've been fighting this one, but I knew it was coming sooner or later and really it was the right time, J.D. is usually right about these kinds of things. Master S is really good about taking responsibility about it and not playing unless he asks first, has his chores done and he has even been good about sharing ... so far, and staying under the time limits that we've set. And how can you not love that face - he was so excited, I think he was in shock because he really didn't talk about it at first and J.D. and I thought maybe he wasn't ... until the next morning I got up for work and his light was on in his room and guess what he was playing at 5:30 in the morning ... yep, his DS. Thankfully he hasn't kept that up.
He also got a really great board game from grandpa and grandma Yorgason while there were here.
We have a delightful toy shop down the road that I just love, so of course I took my mom while she was here! They always have great ideas for gifts and the woman that is usually in the shop knows her stuff. They have all kinds of games and this one was a hit with both the adults and the kids. It's called the Lincolnwood Toy Shop (Lincolnwood Toys) if you are local and you want to check it out, I highly recommend it! It is housed in a little white farmhouse just off 136.We also had our semi-annual general conference for church this last weekend, where our church leaders and prophet speak to the general congregation of the church and it is broadcast through television and Internet so we can stay home and watch it instead of going to the church. There were so many good messages, but it is always a challenge to keep the kids busy and quite so we can listen. This year was a little different ... I think they are finally getting old enough that I felt like I actually listened to most of it this year - they were still crazy, but maybe just a little lower on the scale of craziness! Yeah! I also taught Miss Lilly how to do some loom knitting while we listened --- very fun! She loved it and I was delighted to find that she was actually really good at it. One of the many reasons I'm grateful for a daughter - so many fun things ahead!








3 comments:
That IS crazy that you have a 9 year old! I remember when you were pregnant with him and then holding him by the pool when he was just teenie tiny. :) Pookie Wookie... :)
It is nice when the kids get old enough to allow us to listen to conference. I felt the same way this year... it was still crazy at times, but I got to listen to most of conference. And I can't believe he's 9! But then again, I will have a 7 yr old this year... yikes! Getting older is no fun and it seems to go faster and faster each year!
It's so nice when kids finally get old enough to sit through conference. I know so many parents that won't do it because they say their kids are so roudy that they get nothing out of it. But if we never make them sit through it, they will never LEARN to do it.
And congrats Master S on turning 9. So grown up!
Post a Comment