Monday, January 3, 2011
New Year ... New Feet!
As a nurse and a mom I am ALWAYS on my feet - working, washing dishes, making dinner, cleaning, finding, running, exercising, chasing. It is just the way life is right now and I'm okay with that. In fact, I love it - I'm moving all the time and that is good for me physically and mentally. When I had to sit at the computer to enter information, send emails and coordinate the parents volunteering at the school for classroom parties in September I thought I was going to go bonkers sitting for hours on end. The drawback is the plantar fasciitis that I have developed over the years and the pain that goes with that. I had issues in my 20's, but nothing that cheap shoe arch supports from the local grocery/pharmacy didn't cure. After Miss Lilly was born there was a period of time when it was difficult for me to walk in the mornings, until I'd get my shoes on, so I went to the podiatrist, got some good quality, but temporary orthotics and purchased some 'good' shoes - meaning I spent $50 instead of $25 on some athletic shoes. Things got better. And then we moved to this home with beautiful and easy to clean wood and tile floors and my foot pain spiraled out of control. There is just nothing like shooting, sharp, knife pain in the middle of your heal to deter you from walking, standing let alone feeling great about working or doing anything on your feet. I went to a podiatrist here -- a really good one -- paid $$$ to get molded for some 'lifetime' orthotics, did some physical therapy, talked to my brother (who is almost done with his residency in podiatry ... yeah Kyle!) and spent more $ on 'good' shoes. It seemed to do the trick, for awhile. But, slowly the pain has returned and so J.D. was determined to get me in some good shoes ... well, not just good, but 'fantastic, fit your feet so you'll stop complaining' shoes. So, he had the day off today, as did I and Master S and Miss Lilly are back at school and he took me to Stout's shoes here in town. Ok, so I learned a few things ... first of all, I'VE BEEN TOTALLY WEARING THE WRONG SIZE SHOE! I'm at least a 9, 91/2 with an orthotic in them ( I thought I wore an 8, maybe an 81/2 with orthotics! The store clerk knew his stuff and he put me in some amazingly heavenly shoes. I could have dropped $500, easily and willingly, had I had the money. Instead I got a pair for work and a pair for walking/running/exercising and I've got the name of the brand I want next time I'm feeling incredibly rich and can justify some cute shoes to wear at home, to YW's and shopping. And can I tell you?!? My feet feel amazing - almost immediately. Makes me want to open my own shoe store and scream to the world, get yourself to a good shoe store, let the people there measure and fit your feet! Especially if you have foot/heel pain! So, here's to a new year, new resolutions, and new feet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








6 comments:
I've had mild plantar fasciatis. It stinks. I discovered last year that I need wide shoes. Lovely. But good feeling feet are worth it. I've also discovered that doing core work and improving my running form are helping my foot problems tremendously. My dream is for my body (especially my feet) to be strong enough to run in vibram five fingers. I can wear bare feet in the house sometimes now, so I'm beginning to think it's possible. Happy NEW FEET!!!
So is New Balance your heavenly shoe?? It's time I got some new ones, too. I can feel once I've gone about 300 miles in my athletic shoes... My joints start to ache all over since I don't have the support I need.
Tonya - New Balance are a good fit for me, they always have been, but it depends on your arch and your measurements and I found out that the higher the quality, the higher the number. I've been wearing 400's and the clerk put me in some 800's and 1100's. The price also follows too of course :) Apparently to treat my feet right I'm going to have to do some extra shifts!
We love Stout's shoes!
yay for happy feet and fantastic shoes! so glad you found some! also glad you learned you had the wrong shoe size - crazy! Love you! :)
yay!!!! i'm so glad you're feeling better!!
bess :)
Post a Comment