Thursday, January 6, 2011

January ... projects!

Every December I get so crazy getting ready for Christmas and there are always a million things I want to make but don't have time for and get frustrated as a result.  It was especially crazy this year because I worked a lot more than I usually do.  It was so busy at work!  Lots of babies were determined to get here before 2011!  Anyway, in December I long for January where there aren't any deadlines ... well, not as many deadlines, or not one BIG deadline.  I always enjoy January because I feel like I can take a deep breath - better yet, lots of deep breaths and enjoy creating again.  As an added bonus the creating keeps me from feeling winter blahs --- Indiana is so grey this time of year, and so cold!!!  Doesn't make for much 'feel good' weather!
So, for a baby shower in a few days I made another bag - surprise!  I love making these bags - I'm really liking this pattern http://mmmcrafts.blogspot.com/2009/06/basic-messenger-bag.html  - so many possibilities!
There is this great quote from Leonard da Vinci that President Uchtdorf used in General Conference in October, http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/of-things-that-matter-most?lang=eng about simplicity.  There is a story that goes along with it about NASA spending millions of dollars and lots of time developing a pen that could be used in space, while in the meantime astronauts just used a pencil instead.  A good friend from church who is in YW's with me joke about and are constantly reminding ourselves to use a pencil ... in other words, keep it simple.  So. I made one of these for her and one for me - I need all the reminders I can get on that one!  As my mom says, 'I come from a long line of people, who when asked to build a paper airplane, go a little overboard and build 747s!'. 
I also have this sitting around ... a hinged set of snowmen done in crackle glaze (not my favorite) - so, they haven't been out.  Now I have this great foyer with lots of seasonal decorating potential, so I'm sanding it down (love the electric sander!) and in the process of re-painting them.  I'll post the finished product when I get there. 
I also saw this great idea on the u-create blog http://www.u-createcrafts.com/2010/12/creative-guest-ruff-n-tumble-scarf-by.html and thought I'd try it.  I used old t-shirts the kids had grown out of, and some fleece from the remnants bin.  They love them!  They were in great need of a warm scarf in this crazy Indiana winter wind. It was a bit tricky to work with both fleece and knit fabrics - lots of stretch.  I tried to do some zig-zag stitching on the top to give it a quilted look, but ended up just ripping it out and top stitching a wide edge.  They make awesome scarves ... I used Miss Lilly's the other day and I'm thinking maybe I need to make one for me :)  Too bad I don't have any old Princess t-shirts!
Plus, in between projects and while taking naps with the soon to be three year old ... yeah, I'm having a hard time with that one - but, that's another blog post ... I'm reading this fantastic book!  I love a good book in the middle of winter :)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

4 comments:

Claudia said...

Wow, you are full of energy! I admire your creativity so much. I am about to pull out some projects too - it is a great thing to do in january - but the disaster left over from the holidays is seriously getting me down. Guess I need some cleaning time!
Do you have any cute ideas for Valentines? I want a fun door decoration, but can't find anything that strikes me!

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

Kimi, you run circles around the rest of the women on the planet! Sheesh! I have NO idea how to sew and I fear sanding and painting more than the weirdies of the world. :~P But you go, girl! :) It's fun to watch you create and fix-up.

james and bess said...

hey, hey, the bag turned out adorable!!! (love the ruffle!) :) yay for projects!! (speaking of, i need to go get crackin'....) :)!

bess

Heathelyn said...

Good luck with your projects! And I LOVE that book. It's so good.