Saturday, October 3, 2009

Challenges ...

Sometimes work is just more challenging than I want it to be. Like give you a headache, send you to the restroom cause your gonna be sick, I just want to crawl into my bed and sleep for several days challenging.

This last week was a good illustration of that - the 3 to 11 shift on Thursday evening was one of the worst I've ever had - funny how my worst shifts are usually those that involve a really sick patient (this one ended up in the ICU after emergency surgery that night). I think it's because it scares the pants off me to be taking care of someone who really needs my experience and expertise as a nurse and I never feel qualified!

I am always asking so many questions ... still!!!
There is so much to learn and experience as a nurse, to see, to feel, to do. It is amazing that even though I spent almost 4 years in school going to classes specifically for this, plus I've worked for over 10 years, and there are still so many things I'm learning.

Funny thing, that the people I view as being really good nurses, usually know more than the doctor (which means I have a looooonnnngggg way to go) and I don't mean book smarts or latest study knowledge, or current medical practice knowledge, but 'whole patient knowledge'. These nurses don't view themselves as knowing more, in fact they are usually listening in on rounds to learn more, but they have the hands on skills that doctors don't always take the time to have, the bedside stuff, the being with the patient 24/7 stuff. The kind where they do their assessment, talk to the patient/family, spend time in the room and they have enough experience to anticipate, to feel, to know.

These nurses know what the doctor should do before they order it, hence they, by the power of suggestion can be very influential. The best nurses know exactly how to say it 'right' and help even the most brand spankin' new doctors look incredible, without them even realizing what the nurse is doing for them.

Someday I'd like to be that way, although, I'm not sure I want to go through all that experience to get there, cause its a lot of mental, emotional and physical work that is hard. Did I say work and hard? Yeah, I did -- another one of those 'if you want it you have to work hard for it things'. Not sure I'll ever be up to working that many hours a week ... my kids & husband are too important for that right now.

That's the trouble with nursing ... its a love/hate relationship for me ... I love it when I help someone feel better, when I work hard and as a result someone gets the care they need, when I feel like I know what I'm doing and I can anticipate and help people before they ask. I love that! But, I hate being away from my family, I hate working Saturdays, missing soccer games and I hate feeling like I don't know what I'm doing or I don't have enough experience, or I don't work enough.

Being a nurse is probably one of the most challenging things I've ever done and most days I'd probably tell you that I'd like to just walk away from it, but honestly - it has made me who I am and helps me recognize that there are forces at play in my life that are greater than me. Amazing how it has made me face up to feelings and situations that I would otherwise run away from and I keep doing it! Sometimes you just have to keep doing hard things, not because they get easier, but maybe (hopefully) because you get stronger.

5 comments:

Heathelyn said...

What do they say? "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger". You're becoming a stronger woman. Hopefully next week will be better!

Gage said...

Well said. Hang in there lady. We've dealt with LOTS of nurses and they are essential to the families of patients.

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

Well said, Kimi. You are a marvelous writer, so if you ever DO get too sick of the medical field, you'll always be able to write award-winning books! :) BUT! The fact that you acknowledge a lack of knowledge and experience, tells me that you REALLY DO know something. And more than most, at that! You truly have a talent for helping and healing others. -A very Christ-like girl are you. :) I have noticed that many who think they are "all that and a bag of chips" really need to be tossed onto the scrap heap, ya know?? But since you're not sure, let me just tell you - you are AMAZING! I'm so glad that I know you. :)

The Silly Witch said...

I had one of those super nurses during delivery with Daphne (my youngest). And you're right. She made the doctor look good and me feel comfortable. It was obvious she'd been around the block a few times. She was also probably about 45 years old, at least.

I've been thinking about you a lot lately, and how incredibly important nurses are. We have some friends with babies in the NICU and they blog about one nurse in particular all the time. I am certain at times you are that super nurse of which you speak. Have a great week my friend. You can be assured that you were a super roommate those many years ago.

Anonymous said...

Kim, you are amazing on every level. How blessed are those who come within your compassionate sphere of influence.