Monday, June 15, 2009

Running with Master S

Amazingly, I was super motivated Saturday morning (I wish I knew what triggered that, it would come in handy every once in awhile) and decided to go running. Yeah, for those of you who know me, it must have been a crazy morning - I love walking, hiking, aerobics, swimming, spinning, but running... let's just say that I've only done that regularly once in my life - I was almost engaged to J.D. at the time and it was a reason to see him every morning - incredible motivation! Master S was up Saturday morning too, and so on a whim, I invited him to go with me. He was super excited, and as I laced up my shoes I thought, 'well - we'll see how far he gets before we have to walk'. Keep in mind that we've walked to the park in our neighborhood lots and never does it happen without him complaining that it is too far to walk, and a 'can I ride in the stroller too?' is inevitable. So I was so surprised when after a few jokes and some fun 1st grade chatter we were at the park and he was excited for more. I knew we'd have to run back up the hill, so I was just waiting for the inevitable, when I heard him say, "Mom, let's race back to the house!" - as I'm panting and wheezing up the hill. It's great to have a 7 year old - one that is either destined to be a great track and field participant or just a great reminder at how out of shape I am ... thinking it's probably the later. But, if we can get out there together I think maybe he'll be a great runner and maybe he'll motivate me to enjoy it too!

4 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Go Master S! Kick that mama of yours into shape. I bet you never imagined in you wildest dream that Master S would be an eligible running partner. Don't worry though. I'll bet he'll need his bike soon to keep up.

Yorgasons said...

Oh fun!!! I need a seven year old to run with me! :)

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

Sweet! I wish you were here! I have been looking for a running buddy since January 2002! Still searching I scare most people away because I speed walk about a mile and run for 1.5 miles. Craziness!

the Johnson Mom said...

It's funny how they have energy when they want to but can be so tired when it's not their idea. I am glad he likes it and hopefully he will be pushing you to get out the door.