Friday, June 5, 2009

I survived ... barely!!!

I spent 10 hours everyday (that's at least 50 total) away from my children this week ... and I survived! They are still happy and healthy and J.D. is still talking to me :) Amazingly, there was dinner every night (not take out) and laundry even got miraculously done (I remember putting it in, but I don't remember rotating it and folding most of it - must have been that fabulous husband of mine) Yeah! It was a grueling week of sitting in a classroom, learning all the ins and outs of being a nurse, again and missing my kids like crazy. Apparently, every time you work in a different place you have to get the basics all over again and this hospital likes to review it ALL. Really, it is probably a good thing - keeps care consistent, which patients tend to benefit from. But, for those who have been at the job for awhile, it can get a little tedious. And I think my attention span has been greatly altered over the last 10 years ... I used to think that I'd like to go back and get my master's degree someday ... not so sure now. A wise friend of mine told me mid-week, that as a mom we get so little quiet time, that if there isn't at least three things to pay attention to, our body will almost automatically go into sleep mode. Well, I think I was in sleep mode this week - paying attention to just one thing for longer than 30 minutes was like torture for me! Honestly, even when I'm working my mind is usually going 100 different directions, and they want me to sit still, stay awake and pay attention for more than 8 hours a day!?! Crazy! Anyway, it was a good week, met some incredible people, enjoyed learning more about the place I'll be working and am looking forward to some 'real' work next week in the NBICU. Thought I'd post some pics of the kids this week too - highlights include:
-Master S lost his second front tooth -- awesome toothless grin!
-Three BIG kids eating popcorn; yes, Big D considers himself a big kid now.
-Celebrating at the park (last day of 1st grade for Master S, last day of orientation for MOM!)

4 comments:

Yorgasons said...

Congrats Kim! I am glad you survived orientation!! I totally agree with your friend about a moms attention span! I am counting down the days til we see you guys again!! Love ya!

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

Congratulations!!! You go, girl! I hope you love your new job. :) I know you'll make a wonderful difference for a lot of people. :)

Kelsey Kamauu said...

Good job! You did it! It IS hard to be away for that long in one week AND to sit still :) - so impressed with all that got done at home too :) You are awesome - hope you enjoy your job and yay for no more sitting through orientations! Love you!

The Silly Witch said...

Good job! I can't even sit and read more than to stories to my kids without starting to drift off. And good job J for keeping up w/ the housework.