Monday, June 8, 2009

Corn ...

I worked a 12 hour shift today - not really my choice of shifts, but I'm trying to get my orientation shifts done and work them close together so that I feel like I know what I'm doing and can go to a once a week schedule on a regular basis soon. My drive into work is about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on traffic, which may sound kinda long, but I really enjoy the chance to 'chill' -listen to good music (usually country blaring from the speakers these days, especially if the kids aren't in the car begging for Sandra Boyton). I think about life and gear up for, or de-stress after work. It is good THINKING time. The other perk is that I get to drive through some of the most beautiful country I've ever had the chance to see - and it mostly looks just like this picture right now - corn just starting to sprout, with the woods in the background. I can't describe how it makes me feel to see this everyday. It is almost euphoric - it makes me just smile and feel content with life and wish I was a farmer's wife :) I don't think J.D. would smile about that - I don't think you could pay him enough to be a farmer - but I LOVE it! It is one of the many surprising things about Indiana. I had a friend tell me in UT, when she found out we were moving here - "Oh, you'll love the corn fields -- I miss them!" (She lived in Iowa growing up). And I remember thinking - what?!? How can you miss corn fields? But, I'm beginning to understand ... there is just something about green things growing in mass, the old barns and farm houses. I guess it gives me a sense of security, that life continues despite the economy, despite our foolish choices, that there is still an opportunity to grow out of what may seem desolate circumstances, that there is a power greater than our own that sustains us, that we should depend on. So, forgive me as I indulge in corn -- maybe it will make my great grandparents (who were farmers) smile!

3 comments:

Kelsey Kamauu said...

love the corn - there is definitely something about farms (or good dirt for that matter) that gets to me too - even when it is full of pineapples...maybe its that farmer heritage in us :) I love you and love to hear about all the neat things in Indiana - can't wait to visit someday :)

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

That was a most therapeutic read! And I can see what you mean from the picture! How wonderful!! :) I want to come and visit! Ahhh... those kinds of things are what make life worth living. :) I am so happy for you. :)

Have you ever considered writing columns for a magazine? Your writing skills are delightful. :)

Yorgasons said...

Indiana totally reminded me of Iowa it made me miss Iowa when we were there! I love you Kim!