Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Together . . .

I think we underestimate the effects we have on others, purely from our personal energy and presence. I truly believe that our mere presence, for good or for bad can change emotions, situations and experiences into things they never would have been otherwise, if we are willing to use it. I've learned a lot about this over the last several years working as a nurse, in difficult and as well as joyful circumstances, but I had an experience yesterday with Big D that really put it into perspective. Master S came home from school for seconds and then was off to play with the neighborhood . . . and Miss Lilly passed out (in other words took a rare, but blissfully wonderful nap) while watching a cartoons yesterday afternoon, which left Big D with just his mom and dad for entertainment. Bummer! He was a mess! He screamed and cried, he refused to eat, he was just beside himself - there was nothing we could do that humored him for long before he was distraught again. We thought maybe it was teeth - or over tired and just did what we could to appease him until dinner. As I called Master S in and woke Miss Lilly up to eat together, Big D's whole person changed. He was delightfully happy - was talking his little jibber jabber to everyone at the table and was just generally fascinated with life again. Being together as a family has an energy and motivation that can come from nothing else, and our children have personalities and influences on each other that can only be defined by experiencing them. Just another confirmation of the fact that we are here for a reason and usually it is to help each other, just by being ourselves!

2 comments:

The McFarlands said...

Kim!!! I found your blog through Lisa's! Your kids are so cute! My mom called me the other weekend and told me you had to have surgery? I'm sorry! Hope you are doing better!

Yorgasons said...

Kim, That little guy of yours has a special spirit about him! I don't know what it is but I just feel like he has an extra special spirit about him!! Maybe he will be the one to keep your family together...there is one in every family!! I can't wait til the next time that we see you again!! Who knows when that will be...big D will probably be walking...yikes!! Love ya!