Sunday, July 6, 2014

Beach and South Bend

 On the way back Saturday we drove across Michigan to spend an afternoon on the beach.  We ended up at Warren Dunes - with most of the rest of the population of Michigan!
 Even though it was packed, we still had a great time ...
 Water was a little chilly,
 but the kids got ALL THE WAY IN!
 Big D was buried in the sand,
 Miss Lilly and I made an octopus,
 Miss Lilly got really dirty!  Just when I think she is growing up, she reminds me that she is really only 9 still :)
 That night we got to spend it in South Bend just south of Notre Dame's campus.
 It was beautiful!  So peaceful (without any students in the summer) and lots of really cool architecture.
 We went to the basilica,
 and the main building,
 the ceilings were amazing,
 loved the arches and the blues ...

So glad we stayed close enough to experience Notre Dame.  We are not Catholic, but it was wonderful to be in a place that had religious roots and values and was so obviously dedicated to a Christian foundation.  It gave us a lot of opportunity to talk with the kids about reverence, religion and the blessings of the gospel.  Big D loved the 'touchdown Jesus' and would announce loud and proud every time he saw it 'look, its the touchdown Jesus!' 
We also lit a candle at the Grotto ...
 Big D decided to pose with the gorilla in downtown South Bend.

2 comments:

Gage said...

I'm totally jealous. Didn't you just LOVE Notre Dame campus. I miss it. It is so beautiful. You and your family look fabulous.

Kelsey Kamauu said...

Oh I just love reading about your adventures! Miss you so much! :) love you!