The past weekend I got to go back to Utah/Idaho for a few days! All. By. Myself! Well, not really - I was without children and my husband, but I got to see some dear friends from when we lived there, then I met my parents in Provo and went to my younger twin brothers' graduations and then up to Idaho for a few days to see my grandparents. The mountains were gorgeous, the weather beautiful, and despite being lost without my children and husband (I think that is all I talked about!), I had a wonderful time. There is nothing like going back to the college campus, where you first experienced the true meaning of independence, to make you realize how much older you really are. Not only had campus changed, drastically (the building I lived in as a freshman at DT is completely gone!), but the people graduating were so young! Ha, ha - funny thing is I don't feel that much older. But, then reality reminds me that I have a 10 year old at home, I've been married for 14 years next month and I've been a nurse for 12 years, all of which amounts to 'experience'. Amazing how those seemingly insignificant, individual days, when strung together, amount to a significant amount of time and experience. I used to wonder why experience was so valuable - especially in terms of looking for a job, or being an expert nurse. Now, I know - it makes all the difference in how I interact with my patients, my children and how I respond and know what to do when things aren't exactly as I had planned. It isn't that I wasn't a good mom, or a good nurse when I was younger, but I certainly have a perspective now that I couldn't have had then, one that softens the lens through which I view and interpret the world around me and helps me define and focus on the most important things. And that, comes from nothing other than living. Living through difficulty and blessings, decisions (good and bad), sadness from my own choices and others, joy in discovering life's treasures. Experience is a good thing and while I realize that I have gained a little, there is a whole lot more to gain!!!
I actually remembered my camera, took a few pictures at the Marriott Center and then realized that while I had the camera, the memory stick was at home in the computer! Argghhh!! Oh, well! There were plenty of cameras to capture the moment and hopefully I'll get a few pics from them eventually. It was wonderful to see my grandparents - nothing like roast and potatoes at Grandmas! And seeing Karl and Kameron graduate was awesome! I am blessed with incredible siblings (and their incredible spouses too)!
Thursday, April 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment