Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Over Labor Day weekend we had the day at home - everyone, together for a whole day!  I didn't have to work, there wasn't any soccer games to rush off to or school to go to/homework to work on.  It was amazing ... needless to say, the kids got bored.  So we raided the garden and found some very neglected cucumbers - perfect for cucumber boats (or zucchini boats ... they work well too when overgrown).

 We carved out the inside and made some sails and got them ready to float in the tub.   Master S even found some sailors (lego men and littlest petshops).  It was too windy and cold to do it outside.  In the midst, Miss Lilly asked where I learned to do this.  I told her, my mom.  She then asked where my mom learned to make them, and I said, her mom, my grandma.  Then she said, "this is like a family tradition!"  Funny, I thought it was just a way to keep them busy for a few hours, and use up some cucumbers that I feel guilty about neglecting, but hey, family tradition works too :)
 Big D and I got to go to the apple orchard a few weeks ago with a friend and got some delicious apples and peaches while the other two were at school.  He was more than happy to help with the peeling.  Amazing what a gadget does to peak a boy's interest!
 He was a very hard worker!
 He loved every minute of it. 
 And we got some great apple butter and apple pie filling done to put in our basement food storage.
Just can't get enough of him lately ... I think it has something to do with the fact that he'll be in pre-school next year and then kindergarten and my buddy will be away from me most of the day.  While I look forward to that, I'm trying to enjoy the moment.  I mean, who can resist this darling face?

2 comments:

Yorgasons said...

When I see Big D it makes me sad...because he has grown so much and is getting so big and it makes me realize how long it has been since we have seen you!! sniff, sniff!! We love you!!

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

Oh, Kimi, I envy your home-makingness. :)