My children get angry. Especially one of them ... what am I saying ?! All of them! Can't imagine who they get it from?! What ticks them off is various and sundry ... for one, if they think they are being laughed at there is growling and screaming ... for another it is control, or feeling the lack thereof, like when there are things to do like homework, practicing and it isn't quite what they are capable of or they want to be right and aren't and mom reminds them of that ... oh, that can create a temper. For another it is anytime they are wronged or someone is doing something wrong, specifically brothers and a certain mom or dad.
The problem with anger is that it results in some unpleasant consequences. Some are inflicted by mom and dad, but the great thing about anger is that the consequence is usually a direct result of demonstrating the anger ... really helps when you are trying to teach a principle to your children if the very consequence is something you as a parent have no control over. For instance, yesterday there was a disagreement about when a certain swim party would occur for a certain cub scout. He was determined it was 6pm and I was certain it was 7pm. I could not confirm with the leader - no answer to a phone call, so I relied on the flyer that was given at church and he was angry! So angry that he was sent to his room, and stomped up the stairs, through the hall, to his bedroom, slammed the door and then slammed his body on his bed ... after several minutes and a return to the unanswered phone call and the determination that 'Mom was right!' (SURPRISE!) I wondered why he wasn't coming down the stairs for dinner when I heard a small, tiny, mournful voice, almost weeping from the top of the stairs say, 'my bed is broken'. And it truly was - a rail was split completely in half.
I was surprised at myself. I was completely calm. I did not respond with drama (What? How in the world?! Now look what you've done!) There was none of that - what came out of my mouth was completely inspired, and very controlled, "Well, I guess that is what happens when we get angry. Come on (hug here) let's go have some diner. (as we went downstairs) I guess you'll get to know what it's like to not have a bed for awhile ... " I didn't have to inflict anymore than that. He was obviously distraught and upset and he will be sleeping with mattress on the floor for a very long time. I love it when my kids learn something without me inflicting or strongly impressing it on them.
Thursday, September 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Ahh, natural consequences. Always the best teacher.
Anger--the most important emotion to control... We are trying to learn this at our house, too. My son likes to throw things, And punch people. When Pippi was younger, she liked to stomp, and one time she stomped so hard that a light fixture fell and shattered. Not cool.
Post a Comment