Thanksgiving morning I did something I have NEVER done. I ran. Well, ok, I've run lots before, but never, in a race. When I was a kid there was this race in Boise, ID. I can't even remember the name, but I do remember it was for kids, they talked about it at school a lot and, most importantly, my brother ran it and I didn't. I'm sure my mom tried to talk me into it. I know she wanted me to reach my potential and knew I could do it, but for whatever reason, I was fearful. Afraid that I wasn't good enough to run, or that I wouldn't be able to finish, or that people would look at me weird (heaven forbid!) if I started to walk. (Oh, the limits of a youth's perspective - goodness, people look at me weird all the time now!) So, I never signed up. A few years ago, I decided that if I was going to loose some weight I had better start running. So, I found some good running shoes and started. I've never been able to go really long distances, but I'm finding that I really enjoy running. It provides a sort of stress release for me, as well as a confidence boost. My body craves it, especially in the winter when the weather is bad and I'm stuck inside. It makes me appreciate my body, and all that it can do and it helps me focus on the most important things, especially when life's throwing some big punches and I don't know how to block them.
So, on Thanksgiving morning, I ran a 4.6 mile race called the Drumstick Dash. It benefits the Wheeler Mission in Indianapolis, a homeless shelter that also provides lots of assistance to anyone in need. I ran with a couple friends that I adore and admire. They are incredible women and I ran the whole thing in less than 50 minutes! Thinking I might sign up for another in June.
Friday, December 13, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment