Every time I take a vacation from my job for longer than a week I always struggle going back. It isn't that I don't enjoy the work I do - really, taking care of new moms and babies is an awesome job - but I just don't want to miss my family and there is SO MUCH TO DO at home - not that I would do it if I was home, but whenever I'm at work I wish I was home. I think of all the wonderful things I could be doing and wonder in what 'dimension of time' will I ever, actually be able to just be home and focus on all that motherhood requires?!? But, then when I'm at home realizing that I really do need to clean the shower, wash the sink full of dirty dishes, or the pile of laundry, or play that very long, boring board game with my kids, or mop the floors or do homework with kids who really hate to do homework, or looking at the bank account wondering how I can squeeze out a few more dollars and maybe get something for myself, I wish I was at work, avoiding all those seemingly mundane tasks the craziness that encompasses raising children!
It is an amazing thing, after two weeks off, when I drag myself back in to work, wishing I could just be home instead, I always end up realizing that I work with some amazing women, in an amazing hospital and get to help women from ALL walks of life with that amazing transition women go through as they become mothers. And suddenly, I appreciate motherhood in a whole new perspective. After working 32 hours over the weekend, I am home today, and I am enjoying doing the dishes and having an empty sink! I'm enjoying figuring out what we will have for dinner, and getting creative as I'm trying to stretch the after Christmas budget and use what I have on hand! I'm doing the laundry and appreciating that wonderful clean cotton smell as I fold them, I'm enjoying catching up on Downton Abbey (still working through the 2nd season ... motivation for folding laundry). I loved getting up 30 minutes later and actually going for a run! (I even ran my fastest mile yet today!!!) I hugged my kids before school, I'm planning a great afternoon snack and I'm trying to tackle a project to help the nursery run a little smoother at church on Sunday. Amazing how these tasks, many of which I would have dreaded after a long vacation suddenly become what I want to do after being a work for a few days.
Maybe that is why we have to work and do things that are hard. Maybe that is why we have to experience difficulty, because it helps us truly see the 'mundane' as extra-ordinary and embrace the 'never-ending' as a joyful journey.
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Kim, you are so wise. Thanks for always sharing your insights with us--I needed to read this today and adjust my own perspective. :)
Loved this.
Kristen
Post a Comment