Thursday, October 4, 2012

Merry Christmas! (oh, wait a minute ...)

Merry Christmas?!  Yeah - this is what is looked like at our house a few weeks ago - end of September and a crazy storm blows through with hail the size of golf balls.  We could see the clouds building all afternoon and it hit right as J.D. walked in from work (thank heavens he wasn't still driving) and as the lasagna was coming out of the oven, so when we heard the storm sirens go off we just headed downstairs with dinner and ate it on the basement floor.  Supposedly there was 80 mile an hour straight line winds and obviously hail - but not like any hail storm I've ever been in!  It really sounded like a train was headed through our house - and at one point I looked at J.D. and mouthed the word tornado.  It was so loud.  Amazing how much damage hail can do.  My garden looked like someone had taken a weed whacker to it and most of my flowers were shredded.  And really, maybe I should be wishing J.D. and myself a Merry Christmas, because it looks like according to the insurance people that we need  new roof too!  Yeah - just what I wanted for Christmas this year!

4 comments:

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

WOW. Things are different back east. Do you guys need a steel roof or something? That's insane.

Yorgasons said...

MAN!! TOTALLY STINKS!! Well at least the roofing guys will be having a merry christmas with all the new roofs they are going to be putting in! :)

Heathelyn said...

Yeah, we're getting a new roof too. I was out driving in it. I couldn't even see out of my windshield. Just had to stop driving in the middle of the road. The pea-sized hail was loud and intense and HEAVY! But the gold-ball-sized hail that came at the end of the storm really scared me. I thought my truck would be demolished. So lucky my truck was fine. Good luck with the re-roofing.

james and bess said...

YIKES!!!! but yay on the new roof! glad you're all safe!

bess :)