Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dog Days of Summer

Most people who have lived in Indiana their whole lives have not seen it get above 100 degrees - and if it does, it happens maybe once a summer.  Usually getting into the 90's is a rare thing, although that lack of direct heat is always made up for with the over abundance of humidity, that makes it feel like it is in the 90's and 100's in a usual summer.  This year has been an exception.  It is crazy dry and crazy HOT.  A friend told me a few weeks ago that there has been more 90 degree days this year in Indiana than in the last 20 years combined!   We are under drought conditions unlike anything in the last 100 years, with water restrictions in place, and no watering the lawn is allowed, only veggie gardens and some flowers, trees that are younger than 5 years ... the whole Indiana corn and soybean crops are severely affected.  We are praying for rain and fasting with our church on Sunday for rain, that this area so desperately needs.
Despite the lack of rain, I have some cone flowers that I planted from seed a few years ago - they grew taller than me this spring and are amazing.  The birds and the butterflies love them - the swallowtail butterfly in this picture had wings as big as my hands.  It was beautiful!
 Because it is to hot almost to even swim, we are spending some creative energy inside - the kids love "lunchables" and I hate how much they cost as well as the lack of nutrition in them ... so I saved some old containers from purchased ones and we made our own.  That way we can add whole grain crackers, fruits and veggies, real cheese --- you get the picture.  The kids love it and they are super cheap for lunch.
We found this on YouTube after a friend of Master S told us about it.  It is a song that is quite popular right now, re-done Sesame Street style - love Cookie Monster and the whole share the cookies thing :)
 Miss Lilly has been begging and you can see in these pictures how thrilled she was when I suggested we learn how to make a tablecloth for her doll table as a FIRST sewing project.  She used the serger, the sewing machine and the iron.  We worked on straight lines ... we will be working on straight lines for awhile.  But, she did an awesome job and loved every minute of it.
The perk of having Miss Lilly sew, is that I have also been able to do some sewing ... remember those blocks for Miss Lilly's quilt?  I put them together and finally was able to lay them out on her bed to get a feel for how I want to set them in a quilt.
 I'm super excited - I'm loving how it is going together, I am just having a hard time resisting the urge to sit at the sewing machine all day! 



2 comments:

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

I love the flowers and the butterfly. Hopefully you guys will get some rain soon! We were in a drought, but ended up getting rain for 4 or 5 days and some places got flooded really badly. Thankfully, ours wasn't one of those places.

Looks like Miss Lilly is becoming a Miss Kimi Crafter. :)

Heather said...

I am laughing about the cookie monster song! We have heard the real version of the song lots lately and I get a kick out of the sesame street version. Thanks for sharing!