Friday, December 9, 2011

Oh my! 15 days until Christmas!

Master S has been playing a roller coaster game on the computer, as of late.  He builds coasters and then virtually tests them.  Funny thing - many times his virtual passengers flip out of the ride and are completely off the track ... but they miraculously get back on to finish the ride.  I'm feeling a little bit like that passenger - like I'm going so fast I'm going to flip out at any moment.  I'm hoping that by some miracle I'll still get to finish the ride :) and that Christmas will come, despite lack of time, money and energy!  To quote a famous book, where Christmas comes despite unfortunate events ...

"But this sound wasn't sad!
Why, this sound sounded glad!

Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small,
Was singing without any presents at all!

He hadn't stopped Christmas from coming! It came!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!

And the Grinch, with his Grinch feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling. "How could it be so?

It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
It came without packages, boxes, or bags!"

He puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.

Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.
Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more!
Yes!  It means a little bit more ... that is why it is good to do the many things we do as a family this time of year, because it is more than what you get at the store.  Those things often make it crazy - but it also makes it real.  We celebrate because of a real baby - that in an of itself is a miracle, aren't all babies?  We celebrate because there was a real Easter morning, a Resurrection.    It is fabulous to celebrate, albeit a little crazy in preparation and excitement - especially when it involves kids and giving, but I keep reminding myself that there is a reason for the season and to focus on that.


Our family got to attend two Christmas performances this year.  One on Tuesday for the 1st graders and one on Thursday for the 4th graders.  Master S failed to inform us that he was singing in an ensemble.  But, luckily we had some good seats and were still able to catch it on the camera.  That is one thing that I love about their school - they sing Christmas songs, religious Christmas songs, mixed in with Santa, Kwanzaa and Hanukkah - but the fact that the reason for Christmas is acknowledged and celebrated is delightful to me.  The real miracle of a baby born in Bethlehem inspires us to remember all the real miracles that happen, even on a small scale, and daily basis in our lives.  Happy, crazy, REAL Christmas season!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'm glad your kids get to sing Christmas songs at school. My kids don't get to do a Christmas program and its sad!

Heathelyn said...

Merry Christmas!!

Yorgasons said...

And of course we are making it even more crazy for you!!

Flora said...

Yes - the Yorgasons will make it a little crazier, but bring it on! I can't wait!