Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Terrible Twos at Walmart
Did you hear a screaming child at Walmart today? Seriously - have you ever stopped as you walked into that place and just listened? There is always at least one child screaming, somewhere ... today it was mine. Yes, I am that awful mom. The one that refused to hold her two year old, while pushing the cart that was holding her 4 year old. He was the picture of 'weeping and wailing'. He screamed, kicked, hit me repeatedly through the entire store and continued to profess his frustration and anger for 15 minutes following our departure. I'm sure if he knew them, or could even say them there would have been some cussing words thrown in there too. I think at one point he even threw himself on the floor in an all out temper tantrum ... are we really there? Do we really have to be there? Can't we just skip over the delightful two year old terribleness? Never mind the reason we were there in the first place. Miss Lilly waited to long to use the potty, so we found ourselves with a dripping leotard and tutu minutes before we had to leave for her dance class ... no other leo, no other option, we had to go to Walmart. Which is precisely why there was a tantrum. I dread shopping with Big D ... I will go for days without bread in the house. I've been looking at those leotards at Target, Walmart, Old Navy for the last few weeks, thinking I really ought to have another one on hand so I don't have to do laundry before dance every week ... but, funny how intuition really doesn't help unless you listen! So, when you hear a screaming child at Walmart today - think of me and smile ... 'cause what else can you do? Any illusion of control that I previously had about my influence over my children has been dashed to pieces. Might as well just grin and enjoy the ride (or the 'looks' in this case, as I was at Walmart)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







11 comments:
I wish you lived closer, since our kids are in the exact same age/stage. And yes, mine are the kids screaming in our walmart. And I am the mom trying not to lose my mind.
hahaha, been there! I am sure everyone has.
I'm listening to our almost 2 year old cry on the floor as I read this. Yep, the terrible twos have hit our house also. It's been a fun day with her ending up in tears over EVERYTHING... and throwing herself on the floor multiple times. Know that you are not alone in this terrible two journey!!
Poor Kim. The only people who would give you looks are those that don't have children. i
And I don't think their opinion counts. lol. Bummer of a day!
That is awesome. Perhaps next time you could quickly purchase some extra drowsy Benadryl and pour it down Big D's gullet... ;) That ought to do the trick to calm him down a bit. :)
Okay, since my last day is Friday, I can offer this.
Do you want to kid swap for errands? I did this with my friend in West Lafayette and it worked out wonderfully.
Twice a month, for two hours, we took turns watching each other's kids so we could shop in peace.
You in?
That has never happened to me. My children are ALWAYS so well behaved and happy and sweet and ALWAYS listen to what I say. If you want some help, I'd be glad to assist.
Amazing - all of you are! Thanks for the comments, the encouragement and the offers of relief! You are all the best!
My sister used to call it the Walmart song! Her kids would "sing" it everytime they went to walmart too!
We have been those people! In fact, almost every time we go to ANY store, J just loses it. I refuse to go shopping with him anymore. The only thing that has helped when I've just HAD to go to the store is watching wiggles on youtube on my phone. Thank goodness for modern technology.
I feel you pain. The good news is that the twos don't last forever.
Post a Comment