Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Temple Primary Activity

Well, I survived! And so did Big D! I haven't left him at all with anyone other than J.D. & Grandmas when he was tiny and was nervous because I knew I'd be gone for at least 3 hours with this activity. I had planned an activity day for primary April 26th, yesterday, on purpose, so that I would have it done before I attempted to return to work after Big D was born. Which, the closer it gets to work being a reality, the more I'm re-thinking reality! Trying to fit Primary into life is a challenge on most days, so I'm really not sure where I'm going to find time to work 8 hours a week. J.D. and I have been talking about it a lot and I think we've decided that I should at least try it. It is so flexible (12 hours every two weeks in 4, 8 or 12 hour shifts, whatever and whenever I want) and with per-Diem wage it is very worth my time as far as money goes, but we'll have to figure out if it is worth my time as far as the kids, J.D., primary and well, the kids goes! So, anyway - back to the original purpose in writing . . . we had a primary activity yesterday "The Temple is a Treasure". It is all I've been thinking about for the last several days, why I haven't had time to post anything in awhile, and why my house is a disaster today! A new temple is being built here - the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. It is about 15 minutes away just off Bangerter Highway. We are very excited because we will be in the new temple district.


Here it is, under construction. It overlooks the entire Wasatch Front, so on a clear day you could see the Draper, Jordan River temple from its location. During its dedication, President Monson challenged us to build our own personal temples as we watch this one being built. Of course he meant that in a spiritual sense, but I thought it would make into a great primary activity. So, on Saturday we built our own temple!!! We had the kids go in their classes on a scavenger hunt in the church building for boxes, and they also got a clue about a gospel standard. In order to build the temple they had to act out the gospel standard . . . just like in real life, in order to go to the temple we have to be worthy and live the gospel standards and principles. It was great fun, and as you can see we built a fabulous temple. As with all activities, things never go exactly as planned -- one class thought they needed to unwrap the box - hence the brown box in the lower corner. And we had a few classes that claimed to not be able to find their box (my husband's class included -- it was behind the door). But, we had about 70 kids there, and for a Saturday morning in April I thought that was pretty good, considering the dance classes, recitals, baseball & soccer games going on. I'd like to see more, but when you have 140 in primary on Sunday, it's always nice to deal with a smaller number! (There are about 230 kids in our ward, 180 in primary and 50 in nursery.) Big D stayed with a friend in the ward and did great and I managed to be too stressed to think about him, which was probably a good thing. On to a great stretch of nothing BIG to do in Primary!!! Our next activity isn't until August, our annual Neighborhood Bike Parade and then the program in October. Yeah!

No comments: