Saturday, June 22, 2013

Michigan

A little over a year ago we had some very dear friends move.  They were neighbors of ours, that lived right across the street.  They moved 'back home' to Michigan and from the moment they told us they were moving asked us to come and visit them.  So, for Memorial day weekend we loaded up the car and made the drive.  Oh, and I am so glad we did!
 They live outside of Detroit, in Canton which is close to Ford company's headquarters.  So, as part of our visit, we went to see 'Greenfield Village' which is similar to our 'Connor Prairie' just huge and even more amazing and centered around Henry Ford (and Thomas Edison and the Wright Brothers, since they were apparently all friends?!  Who knew?!).
 While we were there, there was a Civil War re-enactment.  People from all over the U.S. come and 'camp' in period costume and with supplies and equipment all accurate to what they would have used at the time of the Civil War.  It was awesome!  The boys signed up for the Union army and had to be seen by the 'Doctor' and then went through training ...
 There were all kinds of homes, typical of early America - this was in front of a working windmill.
 There was also a steam engine train that went around the park - a big hit with Big D.

 This is me with Renee and Miss Lilly - had to get a picture in front of the beautiful lilacs!
 Here are a couple pictures of the camps/tents set up.
 I loved this one of the big hoop dress ...
 There were rides in old Model T's, horse carriage rides and a carousel.
 This is Miss Lilly using Mike's cane to pose ... silly girl!
 We also go to go to a botanical garden just outside of Ann Arbor and a hike around it. 

 This tree is called a 'monkey puzzle tree' - had to get a picture because I thought it was such a funny name!
We had such a wonderful time with Mike and Renee.  I think Michigan may be added to the 'favorite places to visit' list.

3 comments:

Gage said...

Alright when you coming to visit us? Looks like fun.

Yorgasons said...

That looks like a really cool trip!! I think I am going to add Greenwich Village to my places I must visit list!

Yorgasons said...

ok I am a retard Greenfield...NOT greenwich...I have only half a brain!!!