Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Parade

We marked 4 years in Indiana last week. Has it really been that long? I was watching a family that recently moved here at church a few weeks ago, thinking about what a cute young family they were and realized that their kids are the ages our kids were 4 years ago --- and my kids seem so much older than theirs (notice I wrote my kids, not 'we' or 'me' - I don't feel any older than I did when I had Master S, 10 years ago). 

After 4 years, we finally went to the town Christmas parade this year.  I'd heard it was great fun, but between snow, ice and sub-zero temps over the years, we haven't ever been.  This year it was 60 degrees during the day and we decided we needed to make it our year to go - and oh! we've been missing a great treat!  Things like this make me so grateful to live in a 'smaller' town in the Midwest.  A church down from our 'spot' was handing out free hot chocolate, YUM!  There were so many churches with floats in the parade - one even had a live nativity - all promoting and proclaiming the reason for the season, the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  What an encouraging, uplifting experience to feel the community support and embrace the true meaning of Christmas.  That, in combination with the patriotic presentation of the flag and our armed forces, tractors and cars decked out in lights, as well as the sense of community created with people gathering in 'downtown' Brownsburg just made me realize what a blessing it is to live here.

There was a tree lighting of the tree in front of town hall following, during which Miss Lilly just happened to lose another tooth - crazy girl!  She has earned the nickname 'toothless' around here, with that dimpled grin showing off lots of empty spaces and awkward 'grown up teeth' trying to fit in ... I should have started a fund for her orthodontic work when she was born!

 

No comments: